So I haven't done much ever with outlook and I have only dinked around with Thunderbird. These applications just are just too much from what I want in email. I do know however that many people use them in a professional environment. Normally this has no problem in sending emails back and forth but I got an attachment as a .eml file. I needed the file because it had how to set up specific VPN. Turns out this is a file type that Outlook and Thunderbird use (and quite possibly other systems from what I can gather)!
There are a few solutions to viewing it, changing the extension to be html and any browser will work but as it turns out the only one that will simply load it (and format it perfectly) was Internet Explorer.
Now I dislike IE as much as the next guy (well any one under the age of 60 to be fair), but as it turns out I have found 2 uses for it now. One being this .eml file viewer and the other being that you can disable the certificate check. Normally I would say NEVER DO THIS and if you are using IE make sure it is enabled but in my case it was necessary as the certificate was never properly installed on a server (which is now in the process of being fixed so we can all go back to using Chrome and Fire Fox).
I mentioned installing certificates for websites in this post but I probably will not write on that if I don't do it for a personal site. It is a fairly straight forward process that involves creating a .csr and .key files and uploading/emailing them and then downloading the .crt file and it will depend on who you get your domain from etc. Most sites will have specific instructions on how to make them.
Here is the one from GoDaddy. It also has ones for generating a CSR etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment