Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Random Tips

These are just things I don't really have a place for but I don't want to forget either.

Notepad++

Add "," comma to end of lines in Notepad++
Notepad made life is easier for user to add comma at the end of the each row.
1) Keep the cursor at the end of the column 
2) Press SHIFT + ALT + DOWN ARROW KEY till you reach last row or drag till the rows you wish to add comma
3) Press "," comma and you see comma is added to end of all rows,
- You can also use this feature for indenting as well. In the above example, you just have to use SPACE or TAB instead of COMMA.

Compare 2 files?
WinMerge is a good tool Linux has a native file comparison (comm) need to find out more about it
diff can also be used in Linux but that just shows the differences comm compares.



Super large file?
Vim is for Linux and Windows. It is the only thing I have found that allowed me to navigate a sql database file that was massive (a couple of gig).
Windows keys that come with computers can only be used on that mother board (there are ways around this although the legality I have heard is questionable).

Disable enable Task Manager and Windows Lock Work Station
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
32 bit REG_DWORD
  • DisableTaskMgr 1 is disable and 0 is enable.
  • DisableLockWorkstation 1 is disable and 0 is enable
Random things pop up while typing?
Hit your Window keys really fast and make sure it pops up quickly. It is most likely jammed (I couldn't figure out why windows media player kept popping up). Other possible culprits are Ctrl and Alt keys but I have seen Windows key most.

Chrome extensions:
Adblock and Adblock plus if you do not have these install them.
I decided to include a story about why these are great tools I support. So I had them installed and then my sister asked for a program like dia where you could make a map of things etc. I decided to try dia out and thought it was nice and intuitive. I sent her a link to one of the download pages and it was filled with ads (which I did not know as I had adblock on) and she clicked an incorrect download link and got some nice adware. A simple system restore fixed her problem but at the same time I realized that everyone needs this and from now on when sharing downloads to family I will just have to do it through Drop Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment