I love Google Voice. I am a huge fan of texting it gets things done its quick. Mostly I grew up in the era of IM's so it is something I used to spend many sleepless nights doing. Google voice just makes sense for this. I used it for a bit but didn't really need it. Now I rely heavily on it as I do not have a phone outside of emergencies and an old iPhone with no service.
So it took me a while to figure out why my Google voice was not accepting calls correctly to my iPhone, I didn't have the time until recently to dig into it, a few quick searches and I found it. In saying that I want to point out that searching for the correct key words really helps.
Basically what I use for all calls is my Google voice and it was great for outgoing calls and text, but I couldn't receive calls. Well I found the answer! There is setting that it seems is only turned off initially with iPhones, thank you Google...
To send pictures using your Google Voice number from a computer go to the bottom.
Below is how to fix it.
What I found was
1) You have to use the "Hangouts" app (the Google voice app makes it go through your phone)
2) You have to change a single setting called incoming calls or something of that sort which is under another setting called phone number.
I pasted the instructions from
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/3438876?hl=en
Get an incoming call
To receive incoming calls through Hangouts, you must have a Google Voice account. Incoming calls will appear as notifications instead of ringing directly on your cell phone. You can answer the call by touching the notification or swiping it on the lock screen. But remember, if your screen is passcode-protected, you’ll have to unlock it first.
If you have Google Voice set to forward calls to your cell phone, you’ll receive the call directly to your phone instead of through the Hangouts app.
Set the Hangouts app as the default for incoming Google Voice calls
You can only set the Hangouts app as the default for incoming Google Voice calls if you are a U.S. Google Voice customer.
Open the iOS Hangouts app.
Touch your profile photo at the top of the screen.
Choose the settings icon
Touch Phone number.
Touch Incoming phone calls to on make Hangouts the preferred destination for all calls made to your Google Voice number.
Hangouts will be the automatic setting for calls to the Hangout app on iPads and iPod Touches, but not iPhones.
This setting is only for each device you have, not each account. So if you more than one device you'll need to change the setting on each device.
Sending Pictures from Google Voice number
First off you have to be using the new hangouts chat in G-mail. Once there search for the person or number you want to send to. With this just start typing in the contact name and then click on the sms link for the desired phone number.
From the iPhone app you just click the paperclip button...
No comments:
Post a Comment