Monday, September 25, 2017

Making a Machine Yours

I talk a lot about the things I use. I want to focus a little on a different aspect, making the machine comfortable for you.

Why I use the programs I do:
A big part of this is simple because it is what I am used to using. Spending time with a program will get you familiar with it and then any thing else just makes it frustrating even if it does the same thing. A good example for this to me is WinSCP versus Filezilla.



I Have used FileZilla for about 6 years now. I tried using WinSCP but found it wasn't an intuitive transfer so I dropped it. Could I have figured it out, probably it doesnt seem hard to use, it just wasn't what I was used to. That being said will I ever switch from FileZilla? on Windows probably not unless it starts going to crap, however Linux is a different story. I use the native commandline SFTP client.

What else do I do to make a machine my own?
Wallpapers, I am constantly changing my wallpapers on my machines. I tried about 300 images on a windows machine until I realized it was freezing the machine up, now I just use kitty to change the shell background. The Linux box I use has over 2000. I have a script that rotates it every 10 minutes in a cronjob.



Alias are also a great way to make something more homely on a machine. I also use a chrome extension called Stylish because it makes it so I can alter websites to be darker or different in some way that is more fun (Youtube has a Nyan cat loading bar etc).

Little things like that are what add personality to a machine and are what make it more fun to work on that particular machine in general for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment